Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Countertops are Coming! Part 2 - The Installation Pics

First of all, since I really hated my old laminate counters, we decided to give them a proper send-off and basically, well, DRAW all over them with sharpies!




Um, we got a little carried away. The funny thing was that when the countertop installers came, they said that it wasn't the first time someone had drawn on their counters before giving them the old heave ho. And I thought we were being original.

Before we knew it, Premier Surfaces had arrived with our granite! Yay!

The two young men from Premier were great, and they got right to work removing the old laminate.


I highly recommend vacuuming out those empty spaces before they lay down the new counters - the stuff that's lurking down there is pretty gross - not just dirt, but spider webs, spider egg sacks, small countries, etc.
Next, they carried in and placed a large slab of granite using metal clamps and a stabilizing bar so that the stone doesn't flex as it is moved.

Then they mixed an adhesive that would be used to join the one seam...

After the adhesive is applied to the seam, a machine that makes a vibrating noise (sorry I can't be more technical) is connected to these weighted bars for about 20 minutes or so, and the process causes the stone to almost meld together and leaves an almost seamless appearance.

Within a 3-hr time frame, the finishing touches are applied to make everything just right...

And, voila! I have my new, beautiful granite countertops! ( I did the backsplash myself the very same day the countertops were installed so I could start enjoying my kitchen's new look right away! : )







No comments:

Post a Comment